Sacristy 2017-05-22T21:20:20+00:00

Cathedral Sacristy

This is one of the oldest parts of the building.

Before becoming the sacristy of the present Cathedral it was the Chapel of St Andrew built in 1825 by the first resident priest, Father William Foley. It was dedicated to St Andrew as this had been the name of the original medieval Priory in the vicinity of which the Cathedral now stands.

The original altar still stands in the bay which is surmounted on the outside by the stone statue of the Sacred Heart visible from Barrack Road.

The choir stalls were taken from the Cathedral sanctuary before it was reordered in 1998. The sacristy is used for Mass on some weekdays and as well as for meetings of the Cathedral Chapter.

Current Cathedral Chapter

Provost Rev Canon Sean Healy
Mgr Canon Patrick McAleenan
Canon Daniel Kiely
Canon John Koenig
Canon Bosco Clarke
Canon Kevin O’Driscoll
Canon John Udris
Canon Bernie Noonan
Canon Seamus Keenan
Canon Mark Floody